Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Lost in the Right Direction

After graduating from college I have found myself feeling lost in universe. After what I like to consider a four year era of living the collegiate dream, my reign as a sorority girl, student, roommate, and resident hot mess has come to an abrupt end. The transition into the real world and this new way of life is scary and not as gradual as one could hope. You move home, wake up the next morning, and realize that this is what everyday for a while would like. No money and swimming in student loan payments life starts coming at the recent graduate a hundred miles per hour with no hope of a slow down. In the past few weeks I have reflected on my time not fully immersed in adulthood, my decisions were temporary and did not have the safe effect on my life as they do now. Looking for that first job, the real world relationship, and balancing the ever complicated new roommate (parents) relationship is a lot hard than anyone ever warned me it would be.
As I continue down this road we call life (singing "Boy Meets World" theme song in my head) I have decided to allow passion, excitement, and my gut lead me. I think that if I pursue my passion then everything should fall into place. However, a small problem I have encountered while developing my new manifesto about how to live passionately, I have come to the conclusion that I am not sure what exactly it is in the world that I am passionate about. I have created a passion list, it is a list of all the things that I really believe in or have fallen madly in love with. By writing them down I hope to never miss an opportunity to follow something that I am invested in.
This passion/excitement quest has lead me to a place where I am forced to take a leap out of comfort zone. I have to leave the safety of the family company and not feeling the pressure to give my all and share my passion everyday. As I follow this passion of mine that I have had since my glory days of high school I find myself facing new challenges. I am going to be an event planning intern. This is never something that I expected to be getting out of college however my love of the job has lead me to this amazing opportunity to learn from the best. Taking the step and leaving this job where people know me, what I am capable of, and the type of person I am to move into an unknown environment is scary but I am ready to take this step and start the wild ride that will become my life.
In terms of all the "other" stuff aka the rest of my life outside the potential career, I am beginning to learn that it is all about what feels right. I am learning that if a friendship doesn't seem right then it probably isn't and it might be time to move on. I am learning what it is I deserve from a romantic relationship and how to love myself enough to let go of the ones that are not making me feel passion or excitement. I am learning to navigate an adult relationship with my family and how to balance being my own person, that I got to be for the past four years, with the person that my parents want and expect me to be. I am trying to trust my gut and do what makes me feel good. Happiness isn't something that you just get to feel, it something you have to work at tirelessly. You have to fight to be happy and never let up on doing the things that are going to make you the best version of yourself. Because that my darlings, is the person that people out here in the real world want to meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment